WW II Russian tank with German markings uncovered after 62 years. WW II Buffs willfind this interesting. Even after 62 years (and a little tinkering), they were able to fire up the diesel engine!A Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer pulled the abandoned tank from its tomb under theboggy bank of a lake near Johvi , Estonia . The Soviet-built T34/76A tank had been restingat the bottom of the lake for 56 years. According to its specifications, it's a 27-tonmachine with a top speed of 53km/hr.From February to September 1944, heavy battles were fought in the narrow,50 km-wide, Narva front in the northeastern part of Estonia . Over 100,000 menwere killed and 300,000 men were wounded there. During battles in the summer of 1944, the tank was captured from the Soviet army and used by the German army.(This is the reason that there are German markings painted on the tank's exterior.)On 19th September, 1944, German troops began an organized retreat along the Narvafront. It is suspected that the tank was then purposefully driven into the lake to concealit when its captors left the area.At that time, a local boy walking by the lake, Kurtna Matasjarv, noticed tank tracks leading into the lake but not coming out anywhere. For two months he saw air bubbles emerging from the lake. This gave him reason to believe that there must be an armoredvehicle at the lake's bottom. A few years ago, he told the story to the leader of the local war history club 'Otsing'. Together with other club members, Mr. Igor Shedunov initiated diving expeditions to the bottom of the lake about a year ago. At the depth of 7 metresthey discovered the tank resting under a 3 metre layer of peat.Enthusiasts from the club, under Mr Shedunov's leadership, decided to pull the tank out.In September of 2000 they turned to Mr. Aleksander Borovkovthe, manager of the Narvaopen pit company AS Eesti Polevkivi, to rent the company's Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer.(Currently used at the pit, the Komatsu dozer was manufactured in 1995, and hasrecorded 19,000 operating hours without major repairs.)The pulling operation began at 09:00 and was concluded at 15:00, with severaltechnical breaks. The weight of the tank, combined with the travel incline, made for apulling operation that required significant muscle. The D375A-2 handled the operationwith power and style. The weight of the fully-armed tank was around 30 tons, so the active force required to retrieve it was similar. A main requirement for the 68-tondozer was to have enough weight to prevent slippage while moving up the hill.After the tank surfaced, it turned out to be a "trophy tank" that had been captured by the German army in the course of the battle at Sinimaed (Blue Hills) about six weeks before it was sunk in the lake. Altogether, 116 shells were found on board. Remarkably, the tank was in good condition, with NO RUST, and alll systems (except the engine) inworking condition. This is a very rare machine, especially considering that it fought both on the Russian and the German sides. Plans are underway to fully restore the tank. It will be displayed at a war history museum in the Gorodenko village on theleft bank of the River Narv.